Monday, November 9, 2009

Kuzushi is critical - Black Belt's interview with Isao Inokuma from 1966

Inokuma climbed to the top on a style of play built around a fast, aggressive attack. We asked him what he thought were the most important elements of his style.

"Speed, good timing, and kuzushi (methods of unbalancing an opponent)," he replied. "Kuzushi is especially important. Every good judo man knows kuzushi. If I am forced with a very big boy and it's hard for me to throw him, kuzushi makes it easier."
How about defensive strategy, we asked. He dismissed the question with a wave of his thick, stubby hand. "I never go on the defensive." We than asked him what type of offensive technique he employed.

"I know about 50 techniques myself. But I don't think a person should concentrate on learning too many different techniques. He should stick whit those he knows and feels he can do best with.

No comments: